What is the Machinery Breakdown?The policy broadly covers loss due to all kinds of accidental, electrical, and mechanical breakdowns as a result of internal and external causes. You are covered during the time the machinery is in operation or at rest or in the process of being dismantled, overhauled or during subsequent re-erection at the same premises.
It covers against any unforeseen and sudden physical loss or damage to the item/property insured whilst on the premises from causes such as: a) defects in casting and material, faulty design, faults at a workshop or in erection, bad workmanship b) lack of skill, carelessness c) short circuit d) shortage of water in boilers e) physical explosion, tearing apart on account of centrifugal force f) from other cause not specifically excluded under this policy in a manner necessitating repair or replacement.
If specifically requested, we can also cover the machinery foundations, masonry, brickwork as well as oil in transformers from unforeseen and sudden physical loss or damage, other than specified excluded perils and forms of damage.
Please note: optional cover for loss of profits following Machinery Breakdown insurance is available should the business carried out by you on your premises is interrupted or interfered with in consequence of an accident to the plant and machinery insured.
Consequential losses as a result of machinery breakdown e.g. replacement for loss and spoilage of stock, or loss of profits which could occur while waiting for the parts to repair your machinery. It compensates for loss of revenue and/or increased cost of working incurred to avoid or diminish loss of revenue occasioned by loss of or damage to the items insured under the Machinery Breakdown policy.
Plant All Risks Insurance Policy (otherwise referred to as Machinery All Risks Insurance but excluding breakdown risks) cover for plants and machinery against unforeseen physical loss or damage that may arise from the occurrence of perils that are not specifically excluded from the cover.
The policy does not cover loss and/or damage from:
- Fire and allied perils
- Overloading experiments
- Willful acts or gross negligence
- Flaws that gradually develop and deterioration from normal use
This policy does not cover the following:
- War and related risks fire, direct lightning, chemical explosion (except flue gas explosion in boilers), extinguishing of a fire or subsequent demolition, aircraft or other aerial devices or articles dropped there from
- Theft, burglary or attempts there at the collapse of buildings,
- Flood, inundation, earthquake, subsidence, landslide, avalanche, hurricane, cyclone, volcanic eruption or similar natural catastrophes
- Any act of terrorism
- Radioactive and nuclear energy risks
- Loss or damage caused by any faults or defects existing at the time of commencement of this policy within your knowledge or that of your representatives, whether such faults or defects were known to us or not
- Exchangeable tools e.g. dies, moulds, engraved cylinders, parts which by their use and/or nature suffer a high rate of wear or depreciation, e.g. refractory linings, crushing hammers, objects made of glass, belts, ropes, wires, rubber tyres, operating media e.g. lubricants, fuels and catalysts
- Supplier, contractor or repairer is responsible either by law or under contract
- Consequential loss of any kind or description whatsoever unless it is specifically insured under the Loss of Profit following Machinery Breakdown Insurance